You can change a child's life by praying today
Extreme poverty, war and discrimination are denying children their right to an education as you read this. Your generous gifts to BMS are helping us to confront this injustice. And today, we’re asking you to support our education work with prayer too. Please read, pray and share this article so we can help more children in the countries featured below access life-transforming education.
Syrian and Iraqi refugee children in Lebanon are getting an education, thanks to you. Children who have had their lives shattered by conflict are being given hope for the future. Not only are they being taught, they are being treated with the love and respect that every child deserves.
• Pray that these children are able to concentrate on what they’re being taught and feel safe in their environment. Pray that they would love learning.
• Pray for wisdom and energy for the teachers, as they work with children who have suffered unimaginable trauma.
Refugee children are back in the classroom in Lebanon after fleeing the horror of conflict in Syria and Iraq.
Preschools across rural, very poor parts of Bangladesh are being supported by you. Boys and girls are being taught about letters and numbers, with BMS worker Louise Proctor
training local teachers to give great lessons using free or cheap resources. We’re also helping to educate the children of mission workers at a school in Dhaka.
• Pray that the preschools will be a springboard to enable children to keep attending school, and that the children will be encouraged by their parents.
• Pray that the teachers will be equipped to provide stimulating lessons for the children, and can access all the resources they need.
Children in rural Bangladesh are captivated as BMS worker Louise Proctor helps with a school lesson.
Underprivileged children and adults from marginalised and minority people groups in Kosovo are being given the chance to learn English thanks to your support for BMS teachers. More than 50 per cent of young people in Kosovo are unemployed and 30 per cent of the population live below the poverty line.
• Pray for BMS’ education work amongst marginalised people in Kosovo.
• Pray that young girls would have equal access to education, and that our workers would have the resources to help them.
• Pray for God to guide BMS workers Rose* and Robert* as they serve in education in Kosovo.
We’re working to help children from Roma and Egyptian communities access education. These children are shunned by Albanian society and live in abject poverty. We’re also helping further God’s mission in Albania by providing education for mission workers’ children at GDQ International Christian School.
• Pray for the children who want to learn, but are stopped from attending school regularly because of reasons out of their control. Pray for a sense of hope for them.
• Pray for the children who struggle in school because of extreme poverty.
• Pray for increased resources for the science department at GDQ in Tirana, and pray for renewed energy for BMS mission workers Chris and Debbie Carter
, Mat and Suzanne Gregory
, and Jill Morrow
We’re helping children in Albania, where many families face poverty and hardship.
Children from poor families attend an after-school club at the BMS-founded El Puente Baptist Church in the city of Cusco. They’re helped with their homework, learn about God, and play games.
• Pray that more children attend the club, and see the value in an education.
• Pray that other members of the church get involved and use their blessings to help the children.
• Pray for Denise and Melany, who run the club. Pray they would feel encouraged by the difference they are making to young people’s lives.
These children have been learning and having fun at a BMS-founded church in Peru.
BMS is working to transform children’s lives by improving teaching in Nepali schools. Teacher training written by BMS worker Annie Brown
is being rolled out across the country. We do this work in partnership with the Kathmandu International Study Centre (KISC), where mission workers’ children are taught, with BMS support.
• Pray for the Nepali teachers receiving training, sometimes for the first time. Pray that they would go on to transform the lives of the children in their classrooms.
• Pray that poverty won’t stop children in Nepal attending school. Pray they would have all they need to learn.
• Pray for the students preparing to sit exams at KISC, and for the KISC staff as they settle into the school’s new site.
Children in Nepal have been learning through new teaching methods, thanks to your support for school teachers in the country.
Boys from deprived communities are learning formal rules and structure through a football club
set up by BMS mission worker Ben*.
Summer classes have also been set up by Ben and his wife Isabelle* – who is a teacher – helping not only the boys, but other children, too.
• Pray that the boys would continue to be inspired to learn and develop, and that education and football would give them a great sense of self-worth.
• Pray for Ben, that he would have the resources, time and energy he needs to help the boys who come to him.
Boys in Guinea are not only improving their football skills thanks to your support, they’re being helped with their schoolwork too.
We support teachers in China, helping students at a nursing college improve their English language skills.
• Pray the students would feel encouraged in their studies, and form strong friendships with their classmates.
• Pray for energy for our workers, in both their teaching and in their personal relationships.
Street children in Kolkata are learning reading, writing and arithmetic through the BMS-supported Street Servants team, led by our worker Ben Francis
. Our team is working hard to set up a second school, which will give more children a chance to learn the skills they need to change their futures
. We also support other education initiatives in India.
• Pray that children at the street school would have an incredible appetite for learning. Pray they would sense God’s presence in their lessons.
• Pray that the children’s parents would understand the importance of a good education, and would continue to allow their children to attend the school.
This is where the street school takes place in Kolkata, underneath a bridge.
Young children from poor backgrounds are being given the best possible preparation for school through the PEPE preschool initiative
started and supported by BMS. Children are being taught important lessons like colours, numbers and the alphabet in creative ways.
• Pray that the children enjoy their preschool lessons and want to keep learning.
• Pray for the resources to help more children from disadvantaged communities.
• Pray for BMS worker Liz Vilela
, who has been training new PEPE teachers in child protection. Pray that Liz would find ways to overcome any obstacles she faces in her work, and that the teachers put into practice what they’ve learnt.
Children in Mozambique are not only being given a preschool education, they are also learning about Jesus.
Education is critical in helping children who are poor, disadvantaged and persecuted walk towards a better life – a life that we know is possible.
Through your donations and prayers you are enabling us to help children access education. Please share this story right now to encourage others to pray.
Are you a teacher? Come and work with us
Inspired by the education work we do? We’re looking for teachers to serve in countries such as Uganda, Afghanistan, Guinea and Albania.
You can be the person who helps change a young person’s life for the better. Take the first step by clicking here to find out more. We’d love to hear from you.
*Names changed for security reasons
This story was originally published on the BMS World Mission website and is used with permission.